Bedford Soccer Association By-Laws
1. In these by-laws, unless there is something in the subject or context inconsistent therewith,
a. This Association shall be known as the Bedford Soccer Association (BSA) also known as the
b. “Board” means the Board of Directors of the association
c. “SNS” means Soccer Nova Scotia
d. “Registrar” means the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies appointed under the Nova Scotia Companies Act.
e. “Special Resolution” means a resolution passed by not less than three-fourths of such members entitled to vote and are present in person at a general meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the resolution has been duly given.
2. The Bedford Soccer Association is a community-based organization of youth and senior players and adult volunteers that serves to promote and support participation in and development of soccer in the Bedford area of the Halifax Regional Municipality. BSA operates within the jurisdiction of the Suburban District Soccer Association and is affiliated with SNS, and the BSA serves as the regulating body for soccer within the Bedford area.
3. The principle objective of the Club is to ensure the opportunity for players to participate in organized programs of team play and skill development at a level appropriate for each individual based on commitment and level of ability. The Club will endeavor to develop teams of players that participate at all levels within the structure for soccer as determined by SNS, as well as programs of skill development for mini-soccer players.
4. The following shall be admitted membership to the Club;
a. All players currently registered with the Club
b. Parents or legal guardians of such players.
c. Individuals interested in contributing to the aims and objectives of the BSA and who are admitted to the membership by the Board of Directors
5. No formal admission to membership shall be required and the acceptance of a completed registration form shall constitute admission to the BSA. Membership in the BSA will cease if written notice of resignation of membership is received by the Club (withdrawal from a team) or if any individual ceases to qualify for membership in accordance with these by-laws.
6. Every member of the Club is entitled to attend any meeting of the BSA.
7. The fiscal year of the BSA shall be the period from October 1 to September 30.
8. The borrowing powers of the Club shall be exercised by special resolution of the Members.
9. A Financial statement will be filed annually. The financial statement will be signed by an auditor or by two directors.
10. Board Meetings shall be arranged at the call of the President.
11. A quorum consists of 25% of the Board of Directors.
12. A simple majority of the Board Members present will decide motions, the President can only vote in the event of a tie.
13. Proxy votes are not permitted.
a. The President of the BSA shall normally preside as Chair at all General Meetings and at every Board Meeting of the Board of Directors.
b. If the President is not present the Vice-President shall preside as Chair.
c. If the President and the Vice-President are both not present the members present shall choose someone of their number to Chair.
d. The Chair shall have no vote except in the case of an equality of votes and except for the election of new Directors.
e. The Chair may, with the consent of the members present, adjourn any meeting from time to time and from place to place, but no business shall be transacted at any adjourned meeting other than the business left unfinished at the meeting, unless notice of such new business is given to the members.
a. The Annual General Meeting of the BSA shall be held within 90 days of the end of the summer soccer season.
b. An extraordinary or special meeting of the BSA may be called either by the President, a majority of the Board of Directors or by the Secretary if 25% of the members of the Club sign a request in writing.
c. Notice of a General Meeting, specifying the place, date and time and in the case of special business, the nature of such business; shall be distributed to the members under the direction of the Secretary at least five days prior to the date of such meeting. Such notice will usually be given directly in writing and if necessary notice by telephone or e-mail shall be employed. The non-receipt of any notice by any member shall not invalidate the proceedings to any meeting.
d. At each Annual General Meeting of the BSA the following items of business shall be dealt with and shall deemed to be ordinary business:
i. minutes of the preceding General Meeting.
ii. consideration of the annual reports of the Board of Directors.
iii. consideration of the financial statements including a balance sheet and operating statement and report of the Treasurer.
iv. election of the Board of Directors.
v. all other business transacted at the Annual General Meeting shall be deemed to be special business and all business shall be deemed special that is transacted at a General Meeting of the BSA.
16. No business shall be transacted at any Annual and/or General Meetings unless a quorum of members is present at the commencement of such business and such quorum shall consist of 10 members.
17. If within one-half hour from the time set for the Annual or General Meeting a quorum of members is not present, the meeting, if convened upon the requisition of the members, shall be dissolved. In any other case, it shall stand adjourned to such time and place as a majority of the members then present shall direct and if at such adjourned meeting a quorum of members is not present, it shall be adjourned sine die.
18. Every member of the BSA shall be entitled to attend any meeting of the Club, only members of legal voting age shall be entitled to vote and there shall be no proxy voting.
19. any motion which would require a change in BSA By-laws shall be submitted to the Secretary in writing at least two weeks prior to the meeting and shall require approval of 75% majority of those present and eligible to vote.
20. Robert’s Rules of Order shall be adopted for all meetings
21. A Nominating Committee composed of the Past President and two Members of the BSA recognized for their interest and commitment to the development of soccer in Bedford shall be appointed by the Board at the end of the summer season. The nomination Committee will prepare a slate of candidates for the Board of Directors for presentation to the voting membership at the Annual General Meeting and the Chair of the committee shall preside over that part of the Annual General Meeting. The Nomination Committee shall prepare its slate by: a. Determining whether current Board Members wish to stand for re-election.
b. Inviting and soliciting nominations prior to the Annual General Meeting along with confirmation from the nominee to accept if elected.
c. Receiving nominations from the floor at the Annual General Meeting provided the nominees agree to accept a position if elected.
22. Board of Directors and Officers shall be elected for terms of one year from the date of the Annual General Meeting at which they were elected.
a. When there is only one nomination for a position, the nominee will be declared elected by acclamation. When there are two or more nominations for a position the Nomination Committee will conduct a secret ballot of all members present and declare the names of those elected and ensure the destruction of the ballots.
b. In the event of the resignation of the President or any reason the President is unable to continue a term of office, the Vice-President will serve as acting President until the next Annual General Meeting.
c. Should a member of the Board other than the President resign or be unable to complete their term of office the vacancy may be filled until the next Annual General Meeting with a majority agreement of the Board from the members of the BSA.
Board of Directors
23. Overall responsibility for all activities of the BSA shall be vested in the Directors who, in addition to the powers and authorities conferred by these By-laws, may exercise all such powers and do all such acts and things as are necessary to be exercised or done by the Club and are not expressly required to be exercised by the Club in a general meeting.
a. The Board of Directors is responsible for maintaining and developing policies, procedures and rules under which the Club operates.
b. The Directors shall be able to appoint members to any non-voting position deemed necessary.
c. The Directors shall have the power to expend funds for the purchase of equipment, facilities and services required by the Club. At all times the Board will be cognizant of the amount of monies available, actual and anticipated and shall not make expenditures which will create a deficit at the end of a fiscal year.
d. The Board shall have the power to remove from a position or an office any person previously appointed to that office. Such action requires the unanimous approval by vote of the elected officers present.
e. The Board shall Liaise with SNS and other related soccer branches to ensure the Club acts in compliance with the rules, regulations and policies of those bodies.
Any member in good standing may stand for positions as Executive Officers subject to the following qualification:
a. Any member standing for the position of President or Vice-President must have at least one (1) year of experience as a director of the Club.
a. Shall call for and preside over General and Board Meetings and shall have no vote except in the event of a tie.
b. Shall have responsibility for the general supervision of all activities of the Club.
c. Shall submit an annual written report at the Annual General Meeting outlining the activities and achievements of the year.
d. May delegate responsibilities to other Board Members.
e. Shall be responsible for promoting awareness of the BSA within the local community and the larger community.
a. Shall assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President
b. Shall be assigned other duties by the President as approved by the Board
a. Shall keep a record and custody of all minutes, proceedings and decisions of all meetings of the BSA and distribute minutes within a reasonable period of time.
b. Shall ensure the membership is informed of the date, time and place of the Annual General Meeting.
c. Shall be responsible for producing and mailing board correspondence or as directed by the President or Board.
d. Shall create and distribute board meeting agendas as well as keep minutes of all board and general meetings.
a. Shall ensure all monies of the Club are deposited into a recognized financial institution covered by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Act
b. Shall oversee the keeping of complete and up-to-date financial records of the BSA
c. Shall oversee the preparation of an annual budget for the BSA shall prepare reports as required along with an Annual Report with a balance sheet and financial statements for the
Annual General Meeting
d. Shall oversee and/or handle all responsibilities related to Club bank accounts, and ensuring that there are sufficient signing authorities
e. Shall be responsible for policies and activities related to membership fee collection, account and invoice payments, and any other accounting-related functions.
28. Past President
a. Shall Chair the Nominating Committee and Chair the elections at the Annual General Meeting.
b. Is a voting member of the Board of Directors.
a. There shall be eight Member-at-large positions.
b. They shall be assigned duties and responsibilities by the Board of Directors.
30. The Colors of the Club shall be royal blue, gold and white.
31. Contracts, deeds, bills of exchange and other instruments and documents may be executed on behalf of BSA by the President, Vice-President and Secretary or as prescribed by resolution of the Board of Directors.
32. Any member of the BSA may appeal any matter that might affect that individual, a team or BSA. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Secretary within five days of the occurrence giving full details. A decision by the Board will be handed down in writing within seven days. If necessary appeals may be forwarded by the Board to a higher authority for a ruling or decision.